Kremlin House Stables, based on Newmarket’s renowned FordhamRoad, is one of the town’s most beautiful and historic yards. The house and‘main yard’ were built in 1874 for Prince Soltykoff of Russia who had visitedNewmarket on vacation following the Crimean War and never went back.
Prince Soltykoff, a popular figure in British racing, employed Joe Butters as private trainer in 1903 but unfortunately the Prince died suddenly just six weeks into this arrangement. None the less, Miss Clinto, who inherited a considerable amount of money and the Princes’ string of horses, allowed Butters to stay on at Kremlin.
In 1934, former champion trainer, the Hon George Lambtontook over at Kremlin House, having been replaced as Lord Derby’s privatetrainer by Frank Butters. Lambton, who handled the likes of Hyperion, Diademand Swynford, remained as a public trainer at Kremlin until his death in 1945.
Lambton’s son, Teddy, took over the licence and trained fromthe yard on and off until he put the property up for sale in 1961. Waiting inthe wings was the enormously talented Jeremy Hindley, who enjoyed considerablesuccess at Kremlin before he sold the yard to Michael Jarvis in 1978.
Michael trained from the yard for over thirty years, sending out the winners of some of Europe’s biggest prizes including the 1989 Prix deL’Arc de Triomphe with Carroll House. Domestic and foreign Classic winners were aplenty as were winners at Royal Ascot.
When Michael handed the reigns to Roger Varian in early 2011 the Kremlin success story continued with further Classic glory courtesyKingston Hill in the 2014 St Leger. WhenRoger re-located to Carlburg Stables, Simon Crisford spent two and a halffruitful years at the stable, the highlight being Ostilio’s Britannia victory at Royal Ascot.